5 STEPS TO LEAVING WITHOUT TEARS
(new children, particularly 2 year olds and those leaving main carer for the first time)
THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF THE AUTUMN TERM WILL BE DEDICATED TO SETTLING NEW CHILDREN & FAMILIES
- Parent comes into pre-school with their child, key carer plays with child, with parent ‘disengaged’. Once child has made eye contact and/or smiled at key carer move to step two….
- Key carer plays with child, parent moves across room to get an object, child continues playing, parent comes straight back.
- Parent goes out of sight – child happy does not look anxious and carries on playing = step four ….. child shows distress – back to step 2
- Adult tells child I’m going to the office to get you a sticker I will be straight back’ ….. child happy … parent does what he/she said, if child not happy, keycarer and child get sticker with parent and go back to step 3 then try 4 again
- Once child is happy for parent to go for 1 minute to get sticker, parent tells child I’m going to go for 5 minutes and then be back, if achieved, child is ‘bonded’ with key carer and can be comforted if need be when parent leaves them in session.
- Most children settle using this method within an hour, some take only minutes, others may take days.
- If the parent is anxious then the child will be.
- Bonding with parents will make the process quicker and more effective.
Session 1 - parent comes with child and follows 5 steps, if all goes well parent leaves or they can take child after an hour and try again next time
Session 2 – parent stays for as long as needed
Session 3 – if child very distressed, parent is called after 1 hour, then go back through the 5 steps.